Thursday, July 31, 2008

Vendor Spotlight: Flora Design Studio

My event designs would be nothing without a good floral designer to pull my vision together. Today I am very pleased to introduce to you Heather Hughes, owner of Flora Design Studio. Heather has stopped by today to talk about her company and some tips on choosing flowers for your next wedding or special event.

Lemiga: Why did you start your company?

Flora Design Studio: When planning my own wedding I found that there were not many true floral designers available in North Atlanta. I wanted something unique, different, fresh and new for my wedding, but was having difficulty finding it. After my wedding as a interest, I started taking classes in basic floral design and structure, I did some traveling and research, and determined that what was my hobby was really my passion. After a lot of thought and encouragement from my husband and family I decided to break out of the corporate world and start working for myself. I specialized my business on contractual and event floral design and what became a small hobby has slowly grown into my company!
Lemiga: What is the difference between a florist and a floral designer?

Flora Design Studio: A florist will provide flowers for customers in their shops, and keep fresh flower inventory for quick deliveries and unexpected requests for flowers. They can provide arrangements for weddings, funerals, birthdays, holidays, and deliver these to select locations via a delivery person. There is little customer interaction. Floral Designers do flowers for an office space, home, or a special event. In general they are much more detail oriented ensuring that every detail of flower choice, color, vase selection, location, movement, height, etc. will achieve the look needed to fill the event space. They help ensure the mood and integrity of the event and space is demonstrated through the look of flowers. Their team creates the pieces and delivers them as scheduled in the planned timeline to the location under contract. They provide high levels of customer service, by interacting frequently with the planner or event coordinator.
Lemiga: What should potential clients look for when hiring a florist or floral designer?

Flora Design Studio: Clients should make sure they feel they can trust their florist or floral designer. Communication is key! Make sure your florist/floral designer asks you lots of questions to ensure they are on the same page as you and they clearly understand of what your goal is with flowers. A good florist or floral designer will be upfront about costs, and offer solutions or fresh ideas on how to adjust the flowers to meet your budget.
Lemiga: What do you enjoy most about your job?

Flora Design Studio: My clients are the key to my business; and I am so lucky to get to work in a business that provides such happy emotion! I love to see the whole picture come together in the end. From the beginning stages and planning to the final set up, I get to see my projects from start to finish with the excitement from my clients. I see mothers tear up with joy when they see their daughters carry their bridal bouquet. I hear excitement in a brides voice when she tells me about a special memory she has of a certain type of flower that is close to her heart. Flowers provide a warm feeling for people and I love getting to enjoy this part of my job with my clients.
Lemiga: What is one piece of advice you would give for brides to be?

Flora Design Studio: Make sure you get your floral designer booked after you book your wedding and reception location, the earlier the better. They can work out any issues early of flower availability and cost before anything is finalized. And, make sure you allow enough of your budget to flowers, typically 20% of budget is a realistic cost of flowers for a wedding.

Thanks Heather for stopping by today and sharing with us your beautiful work!

Flora Design Studio is a participating vendor at my Open House Soiree on August 24th. Heather is working on some gorgeous designs for the Soiree that you do not want to miss! Register today for the Soiree at http://lemiga.eventbrite.com/

No comments: