Friday, October 17, 2008

My Grandpa

This post has nothing to do with weddings or events, but today I wanted to share how proud I am of my grandpa.
My grandpa is a man who has always put his family first. My childhood was filled with such great memories because of him and there has never been a time that I have called him and he wasn't there for me. And now my kids are fortunate enough to have him in their lives.A few weeks ago, my grandpa was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal, the United States' highest civilian award, for his service in the Tuskegee Airmen program.
For those who may not know about the Tuskegee Airmen, here is a little excerpt from the National Park Service...."Before 1940, African Americans were barred from flying for the U.S. military. Civil rights organizations and the black press exerted pressure that resulted in the formation of an all African-American pursuit squadron based in Tuskegee, Alabama, in 1941. They became known as the Tuskegee Airmen.

The Tuskegee Airmen overcame segregation and prejudice to become one of the most highly respected fighter groups of World War II. They proved conclusively that African Americans could fly and maintain sophisticated combat aircraft. The Tuskegee Airmen's achievements, together with the men and women who supported them, paved the way for full integration of the U.S. military."(Photo Credit: NPS)

Not that I needed another reason to be proud of you, but I'm so excited that you got the recognition you deserve. I love you, grandpa!And I couldn't resist a picture of my two babies after the ceremony.

1 comment:

Jessica@sublime-photography.com said...

How wonderful! What an amazing accomplishment.