Sunday, June 8, 2008

Modern Baby Shower

Lately I've gotten more and more requests for "modern" baby showers. Moms to be are sick of the same baby shower games and typical baby shower decor. I think it makes for a much more memorable and unique shower if you consider the guest of honor's interests and hobbies to use as a basis of the shower's theme and decor.

For my own baby shower when I had my second child, my friends gave me a scrapbooking shower. I really enjoyed making a scrapbook for my first child. But with the demands of motherhood and working I was worried that I wouldn't have time to make a scrapbook for my second child. So having a scrapbooking shower was both unique and very useful. At the shower each guest made a page for my baby's scrapbook so that later all I had to do was add the pictures.

Here is the invitation - baby footprints were used on the front of the invite - and I love the added natural element of raffia to tie it together

When guests arrived, they were able to choose the paper and embellishments to make their pagesHere is a set of finished pages made by one of the guests The cake had the same footprint as the invitationThe decor included colorful spring flowers

And party favors were lotion and lip gloss from Bath and Body WorksMy shower was a great afternoon spent with friends eating and enjoying each other's company while making my baby's scrapbook. Every time I look at her scrapbook I think of the friends and family that made the pages and the great baby shower that I had.

For anyone looking for ideas, here are some great resources for modern baby showers


Hostess with The Mostess has great ideas with instructions on how to recreate the party yourself


Social Couture makes it super easy by providing "party kits" for you to decorate the shower


Swanky Tables blog recently posted a Popsicle Theme party idea that I think would be so much fun for a baby shower - especially during the summer! Check out the post here


I hope this inspires you to think beyond the usual baby bottles and pacifiers next time you're planning a baby shower!

No comments: