Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Photographer Spotlight: Wilgrant Weddings

Today I am featuring Wilgrant Weddings, a photography studio that is currently based out of Washington, D.C., but will be relocating to Atlanta, Georgia later this year. Owner and lead photographer Jeff Wilson has stopped by today to tell us more about their wedding photography.


Lemiga: How do you describe your photographic style?

Wilgrant Weddings: I am a photojournalist with somewhat of a fashion flair. I have a background in fashion photography. Although the genres are totally different they can compliment each other at times.
Lemiga: What do you enjoy most about your job?

Wilgrant Weddings: I enjoy capturing the moment. Photographing weddings allow me an opportunity to record the love and joy between two people as family and friends witness this special time in their lives. Lemiga: One piece of advice for brides-to-be:

Wilgrant Weddings: Do not choose a wedding photographer as an after thought. Too many brides plan their entire wedding then say “Oh we forgot book a photographer”. By this time the budget has been spent and you have this wonderful reception with great floral arrangements and a beautiful cake. You only have $1,000 left for a photographer, that may not be able to provide the elegant images to match the elegance of the wedding. Choose a great photographer early on and remember the pictures are going to last much longer than the food, flowers and so many other things you pay for. Lemiga: What qualities should a couple look for when hiring a photographer?

Wilgrant Weddings: Besides great images, I think personality is a quality that is major. Thatʼs why I offer free engagement sessions with all my wedding photography services. Its always a fun stress free shoot. I want my clients to know me and I want to get to know them. So that on the day of the wedding, Iʼm not walking in a just “the wedding photographer” but also a friend. Then the photographer is one less thing to stress about on the wedding day. Lemiga: What details within the wedding day play the most important part in your photography?

Wilgrant Weddings: Both the ceremony and the brideʼs preparation (ie. make-up and hair) play the most important part in my photography. I like to shoot the preparation so that the groom gets a chance to see everything his bride went through to make it a special day. Of course the ceremony speaks for itself. I make sure to capture the look on both the bride and groomʼs face once they see each other for the first time during her processional. I am also sure to capture the smiles of friends and family attending. Of course I canʼt forget the “first kiss” as husband and wife. Those are a few details that play an important role. I could go on for days about detail.

Lemiga: What has been the highlight of your career to date?

Wilgrant Weddings: The highlight of my career to date was shooting my first wedding. Although all weddings are special. The first was special because I had no interest in shooting weddings at all. As I mentioned earlier, I started photography in the fashion/commercial genre but one day I got a call from a bride and she had seen some of my images and asked me to shoot her wedding because she really liked my pictures. I was honest with her and told her that I had no experience shooting weddings and had no interest at that time. She was persistent and called me back about 3 days later. I agreed to shoot it as long as she and the groom were fully aware that I had no experience. Once the wedding was over I thought to myself that wasnʼt so bad. But my true joy came when they picked up their wedding album and as she, her mother, and her husband looked through the images, I saw the expressions on there faces. Both she and her mother cried as they look at the images and her husband sat there with a big smile on his face. It was then, I realized that it was not just about taking pictures but about documenting moments to be cherished, not just moments to remember, but moments to relive every time they look at their images. That is a highlight that I try to recreate with each wedding that I shoot.Thanks for stopping by today Jeff! As a new photographer to the Atlanta market, Wilgrant Weddings for a limited time will be offering special introductury rates to Atlanta brides. Contact me or Wilgrant Weddings to get more information about these rates.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Your photography is beautiful! Can't wait to see more of your work around Atlanta!

Anonymous said...

magnificent photos

Sky + Carla said...

Great interview! Also great work Wilgrant. When you get to ATL let us know and maybe we can hook up and get some networking in ;)

-Sky

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments. Kudos to Michelle for a great article. Sky thanks for welcoming me to Atlanta. I look forward to meeting and networking with you guys!

-jeff

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Went to your website and loved the slide show.